Friday, January 7, 2011

DIY: Modernising an old bit of furniture to fit our new colour scheme

So with my parents catching the renovation bug and insisting all my "crap" is removed so they can get on with things, I've had to take back my old filing cabinet. It was a $5 special from a place selling ex government furniture, but doesn't really suit the style of our new place.

Anyway, not to worry. To bring this worn out piece of furniture into the modern age, all you need is some adhesive vinyl and a sharp knife or blade. I chose a semi-gloss silver vinyl that I normally use for car stripes and decals. Clean the piece up first, remove all the old cobwebs (that this one had, anyway), and fill in any holes with filler or putty.

The backing paper (white) just peels away from the vinyl. It's like clear-wrapping a schoolbook to protect it.

Tuck in all the corners, trim and smooth out any air bubbles and you're done! Difficulty 2/10. Cost for the vinyl on this project, about $15.

T&T

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Who would have thought that the end product was timber? Looks like steel!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails